Friday, July 31, 2009

Review: Coraline 2 Disc Collector's Edition on Blu-Ray

Diving into the 3D masterpiece called Coraline was nothing short of brilliant, creative and superb. A two thumbs up, 5 star flick!

When I first heard about Coraline hitting theaters in 3D, I wanted to go immediately, however whenever I go to a flick I always have someone ruin the show. Laughter, talking, or screaming. It never fails. I told myself that I would wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray, and that I would enjoy it more at home.

That wait was well worth it. I bought myself the Coraline 2-Disc Collector's Edition with Digital Copy on Blu-ray Disc, from blockbuster for a gut busting $29.99.

I hoped that the movie would be worth the $30, and it was.

The Coraline 2-Disc Collector's Edition with Digital Copy on Blu-ray Disc came with a Blu-Ray disc that featured the movie in it's original format, and in 3D format. A digital copy which allowed me to view the movie on my PC, and on a standard DVD player. There were 2 discs total, but in reality the bundle is like a 3 in 1. You have a PC copy, a copy for the Blu-Ray player, and a copy for regular DVD viewing pleasures.

Naturally I viewed Coraline in 3D on Blu-Ray format.

Inside of the case were 4 3D glasses. I slipped a pair on, and handed off the remaining 3 pairs to my family. From the beginning to the end we were all captivated by how wonderful the 3D graphics were presented.

In the past 3D movies were pretty bad. In fact, nothing ever seemed to pop. Coraline however had images popping from the screen at every turn. I truly felt immersed in the story, as if I were there in the computer animated world, peeking in and watching on a more personal stage.

Some of you may be wondering what Coraline is all about though. It is a computer animated movie brought to us by none other than the brilliant creative mind of Tim Burton. It features a young girl named Coraline who has parents that she considers less than standard. One day she discovers a small door in her home. Through the door Coraline has an entire new family that she considers perfect. Her mother looks the same, her father looks the same, even her friends look the same; however they have eyes made of buttons.

Coraline becomes obsessed with her 'other parents' as she calls them. She visits frequently, and its no wonder why either, because her new parents seem to do everything she could ever wish. However, when she is told to stay in this new world forever, Coraline realizes that these perfect parents of hers are not so perfect after all.

All in all the plot in the story is presented fairly well, the scenery however is what steals the show. The 3D graphics will have you completely mesmerized. With an excellent eerie matching choice of music, Coraline could not have been better. It was stitched together with patience, creativity, and a dash of lunacy, Coraline is a perfect example of art in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment