Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Review of Picross 3D for Nintendo DS

I at one time was a huge fan of Picross for my Nintendo DS. I loved wasting time trying to pick at my brain in hopes that my tapping skills and problem solving skills would reveal to me the picture hidden in the puzzle without time running out.

Picross is a game however that most will like, and others will hate. There is no adventure here, you basically take your time clicking away at boxes in hopes to reveal a hidden picture within those boxes without making an error. You simply look at the numbers on the grid that reside on the top and side of the screen, then you must determine how many boxes need to be shaded in, and which need to be removed. If you do it correctly you will reveal an image.

I began playing Picross online, and while looking up new puzzles came across Picross 3D for the Nintendo DS. I had not even known about this game, but once I discovered it, I knew I had to have it, because this game was no ordinary flat grid, this game took Picross to the next level and added layers creating 3D puzzles to solve, and 3D pictures that would be revealed if you are able to solve the puzzle.

I figured it would be simple, fun, and relaxing but after I finally got the game in hand and began to play it, I realized that I was more frustrated with the games puzzles, than I was having a fun or relaxing good time.

Besides the annoying complex system of poking your way through layer and layer of puzzle solving, they went and added a new number system. Numbers that are circles can now be divided up. For instance if you have the number 5 circled, it means anywhere on the puzzle, 4 blocks may be colored, and 1 separated down the row and colored. Or 3 numbers could be grouped, and then 2 grouped elsewhere on the row. Any possibility is possible, which just makes it a little annoying and more complex.

Now I liked the game overall, but didn't care much for the circled numbers, or how confusing it all was at first. The tutorial section is found in the 'Beginners' tab, and it gives you a good look into what is expected of you in order to complete the puzzle, there are even example puzzles for you to solve, however once you are thrown into actual puzzle solving game play things get complex. You can handle it in 2 ways, slap your head and try again until you grasp the concept of how the puzzle works, or you can throw the game into your games bin and forget all about it.

If you do however stick it out, I guarantee you will find this one to be more than addicting, but a game you go back to time and time again.

Graphics & Sounds:


Sounds in the game are also standard and generic, and they could have focused more on this angle as well, but they didn't. The tunes are simply monotone buzzes, drums, and beats. Nothing fancy, but if you are playing this one late at night, the tune is so bland it could actually put you to sleep.

Overall:
It's a love to hate game, or a game you will simply love. Some fans of the original game will like this one, and others just won't be able to find their way into the complex new system.
Here is where we have a bit of an issue, the graphics are pretty horrendous, and the puzzles, when solved reveal pretty sub standard and ugly pictures of 3D items. I wished they would have focused a little more on the objects gamers would be revealing, as they are very generic, and like those Picross games you could find online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment