Monday, April 05, 2010

Review of New Chocolate Cheerios


Whenever I come across something new in the cereal department, I pick it up and take it home with me. I find that when it comes to breakfast cereals, we have been subjected to the same boring flavors we have had for years. Chocolate, nuts, or fruity bits.


I like when companies think outside of the box, and deliver newer things every once in awhile...even if those newer things are repeats of cereals we have already tried (ex. Cocoa Puffs vs. Cocoa Pebbles).

I was aware that Cheerios have been trying to add a new selection of Cheerios, however every single newly added flavor from Cheerios that I have tried have all been pretty nasty as far as flavor goes. It seems Cheerios are the only cereal you can't do much with. They are best as originals or as honey nut Cheerios, anything else and the flavor is too compromised and odd.

When I saw the commercial for their newest flavor, Chocolate Cheerios, I was excited to give it a try. I wondered how the original flavoring of Cheerios would taste doused in cocoa. This past week I got to find out exactly how they were. I was not intentionally seeking them out, but there they were, right on the counter, and on sale for $3.88 a box.
They are pretty easy to find, instead of the giant orange/yellow colored box that Cheerios normally comes in, Chocolate Cheerios instead comes in a brown colored box, with a photo of what the cereal is supposed to look like inside of the box

How Were They?
After getting home, and yanking the box open I took in the fragrant cocoa scent that the bag of Chocolate Cheerios gave off. The chocolate scent however was bit strange, with a cardboard like after fragrance kick. It was odd, but I figured it would be. Cheerios alone have a distinct exclusive flavor that no other cereal can reproduce. Douse that exclusive flavor in chocolate and what you have is likely going to be an odd combination, and that is exactly what you get.
As I chewed on my first milk drenched bite of Chocolate Cheerios the flavor was a nice mild cocoa flavoring. However as I chewed more, the natural Cheerios flavor begins to make itself known, and combined with chocolate you have this really odd bitter flavoring that just does not work well. The final aftertaste I got was that of cardboard with a bit of chocolate sauce.
All in all, I didn't like them. They were not horrible as to where you would gag, but they are also not something you would want to eat on a regular.

It was fun trying out the newly added flavor, but frankly I won't be buying this one again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment