Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review of Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheat's, with a Touch of Fruit in the Middle.

2 years ago one of my wishes was that cereal companies would create new flavors to plop onto shelves, because I got sick of eating the same stuff day in and day out. Selections were slim pickings, but thankfully a year later nearly every cereal company began competing with one another to create the latest and greatest trend in cereal. While some managed to create sure classic favorites, others managed to miss the mark by a landslide. Cheerios as of late is probably my favorite cereal that seem to be releasing new cereals with awesome new flavors.

Last weekend I happened to stumble upon Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheat's, with a Touch of Fruit in the Middle.

When it comes to mini wheat's in general you sort of have to already have an acquired taste for them, otherwise they are not that spectacular.

Years ago Mini Wheat's drew me in as a fan when I finally gave their Frosted Mini Wheat's a try. I became hooked, and every now and again would stock a box of them in my cabinet. When I saw these new Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheat's, with a Touch of Fruit in the Middle featuring Mixed Berry as the fruit in the middle, I did not hesitate. I threw a box into my cart and couldn't wait to get home to try them out.

Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheat's, with a Touch of Fruit in the Middle looks like a standard Mini Wheat, although you can see the middle mixed berry fruit slightly oozing out of the ends of the wheat pieces.

I tried one dry, and was not too pleased with the blending of sweet fruit and a more bland mini wheat chunk. It was like munching on a very, very dry tasteless granola bar, and once you begin to chew the fruit center begins to make its presence known. The fruit however is where the problem lies. It was like a strawberry flavored fruit snack, or fruit roll-up. Sweet, sugary, and artificial tasting.

In milk, the combo is a lot better because the powdered sugar on top of the mini wheat begins to melt a little adding a sweet flavor to the bland mini wheat pieces. In milk it is not so bad, eating this one dry however is sort of gross.

Even in milk though, those of you whom have never liked Frosted Mini Wheat's in general, will not like this one. It's more for those who have acquired the taste for them.


All in all though, once added to milk Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheat's, with a Touch of Fruit in the Middle, is not bad at all. It's good for you, healthy, and you won't feel guilty after eating them.

Do I think Kellogg's could have done better with this new flavor? Of course, but I am excited to see what they will hatch up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment