Thursday, March 26, 2009

Review: Dell XPS, A Gamers Dream Desktop!


Unfortunately I am only writing this here review because I recently lost my Gateway. I really liked the Gateway while she lived. She hummed, she sneezed, she coughed, she died. Apple of my eye, I cried.

My Gateway computer though went out with a bang. I don't know how she done it, but when she died the whole neighborhood lost power. She must of been sucking up a lot of energy, a lightning bolt struck her; fried her brains.

I'll always remember her though, every time I turned her on, the lights in my whole block would flicker, and it gave me a sense of power. I had control of the neighborhoods electricity, and they didn't even know it. I reckon its a conspiracy, but I still don't how to prove it. I miss having that control. Laughin' every time the lights went black.

I was PC-less for around 4 months, and then I heard they were making a new Sims game, and I love my Sims. The release date is coming up, some time this February, and there was no way in hell I wasn't going to have first dibs on this super cool, super gnarly, awesome game.

I hit up my local Best Buy weeks prior, and refused to go in for an actual purchase kill. I had a lot of decisions to make. Do I go with Gateway again? Do I perhaps give Dell a shot, or should I try some cheap piece of shit from Cyberpower?

Buying a piece of shit from CyberPower was my only cheap option, but after recalling a horror story with that company from a year prior, I figured I had to scratch them off. I had to stay loyal to my word, when I told a rep from that company to shove their shyt up their pee pee holes, I meant it. Boo-yah!!! Hehe!

It was around my fourth visit to Best Buy when I saw this gigantic monster of a machine hiding on a dusty back shelf. She looked like a dream, blazing blinking blue lights, white lights, a Christmas box? An alien form? A machine that looked more like a mishapped UFO, a machine that looked out of this world.

Before even heading over to the blinking tower of technology, I wondered what a machine like this would go for.

She was probably way out of my league...way, way, out of my league.

Something that is able to put on a light show like this machine had, likely would cost 4 geez.

I moved closer to it, not wanting any of the Geek Squatters to recognize me, I silently went in for a kill, like a panther in the night.

They knew me by face, they knew I was easily influenced into buying their recommended products, they even knew me by name. I didn't want them to heckle me. I wanted some alone time with this creature before being rushed into the adoption process.

Her large body seemed to be made of polished stainless steel. Her face plate could of used a little more work, she seemed a bit bland, but the lovely decorative lights distracted me from picking this machine apart.

She had a name. The Dell XPS 630. She had a description; Intel Dual Core 2 E8400, 6GB, NVidia GeForce 9800 GT.

I'm no techie when it comes to such descriptions, but it seemed to be sweet. My Gateway was running on a GeForce 7600, and 9800 is bigger than 7600, so it all seemed good by me.

Next I lowered my eyes to the price. I was already in love with the appearance of this computer, but I knew as soon as I focused my eyes in on her price, it would be a whole new ball game. Likely I'd end up walking away.

The machine though was priced as an 'open item'. Likely this meant it had issues, and was someones filthy little return.

The open item price though was set at just $899. It's high, but I have had my fair share of PC's, and even though it was high, it was actually very, very reasonable for what I was getting.

Before going in for the ultimate wallet kill though, I picked up my phone, and googled this exact machine to see what it normally retails for. If I was only saving a few bucks, I'd skip.

My eyes were aglow when I realized this exact machine, with these exact specs would normally sell for $1,500.

My heart went thumping, and I wondered, had they messed up on the pricing?

I asked. A Geek told me that was the correct price and said the open item was not a return, just the store display model. I didn't hesitate, so I told him to pack her up, and let me have her.

This was when the fun began. Another sales rep came over to inform me that the XPS was not priced correctly. He then had the balls to place a NEW price over the mistaken price. $1,200! Haha,you make me laugh brutha.

This particular model comes with an Intel Dual Core 2 E8400, 6 GB Dual Channel DDRS SDRAM at 800MHz, 4DIMMs, NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB, Windows Vista Home Premium, Integrated 7.1 channel audio, a 16 in 1 card reader that supports the newer XD cards. It also comes with a laser mouse, wired keyboard, 6 USB slots, and an empty slot on the face for an optional Blu Ray player.

I know the law Geek, and the law says, if that's what you got it tagged at, that's what I have the given right to purchase it at. Sorry fella, now go splain' that to your boss.

A few dirty looks, and I walked out with my Dell XPS 630.

I got home and went to hooking her up. I had to dispose of the shell of my poor dead Gateway, and move this monster into her place.

The keyboard and mouse got tossed into a computer parts box in my basement, because they are pretty cheap.

The mouse is a standard laser wired mouse, as is the keyboard. I whipped out my wireless keyboard and mouse, and hooked it up to the XPS. I suggest you do the same, because the mouse and keyboard that comes with the machine is pretty crappy. It's of course usable, but not what I'd suggest actually using. Hehe.

Hooking the computer up in general was a cinch, and does not require any skills. Everything is relatively plug and play.

Unfortunately I had to adjust a lot of settings, because the Geeks apparently did not remove Best Buy as the PC's user name. It pissed me off, but I got to fixing it.

The XPS is big, and does require a bit more desk/floor space than a normal desktop PC. This sweet gem is approximately 7.83 inches in width, 19.32 in height, and 22.05 inches in length.

It packs a ton of power though, and is primarily a computer that gamers would love to have.

The quality of the computer is superb. The case is made of lacquered aluminum, and feels very tough and durable. The casing is easily opened with a simple touch of a clip. I loved this feature about it, because I've never had a PC case that didn't require unscrewing bolts. The XPS however does not require such neanderthal tools.

The face of the XPS 630 is made of very thick plastic, that has a metal grill at the very bottom of the front. The grill is sleek, sexy, and just adds to this computers powerful looking charm.

Once I had the PC set up, I turned it on, and was pleasantly surprised at just how fast it powered up and loaded Windows Vista. I was impressed, and the lights on the face of the PC lit up, and stood on the entire time.

The PC is also is very quiet. I did not hear it chug, cough, sneeze, or burp once. My Gateway always had the hiccups whenever I powered her on, or made her actually do something.

I loaded the XPS with my old Sims 2 game, and was surprised at how fast loading times were. I did not experience freeze ups, glitches, or any moments of slow reaction.

The speed on this particular model impressed me so much that I actually smiled from ear to ear.

All in all, while gaming the XPS runs with speed, efficiency, and stunning looking graphics.

What I loved about the XPS though is the fact that while gaming, I actually forgot I was gaming on a PC. In the past gaming on my PC was a long boring task of load screens, freeze ups, glitches, and worst of all would be the infamous 'blue screen of death'.

The Dell XPS however ran silently, smooth, and glitch free during every gaming session I have ever thrown at it.

That's what makes this computer so special to me. It crunches, chomps, and spits out whatever I throw at it with ease. The name XPS is just not fitting enough for this fella. This one should have been labeled the 'Gamers Dream Machine', or 'Dell Monster', because that is exactly what it is.

I have been using the computer every day now for over 2 months with absolutely no problems. I am extremely hyped up about the Sims 3 release, and I know my Dell will be able to handle this new release with ease.

It is in my opinion an excellent computer for gamers. I have absoutley nothing bad to say about this desktop. Its a 5 star winner in my book. I don't even miss my Gateway anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment