Thursday, April 02, 2009

Game Review: Sims 2 Holiday Stuff Pack


My love for the Sims has only grown and grown over the years. Lately however with the release of maxis' expansion packs I've been disappointed, than happy, than disappointed again.

This version is just like the original Sims 2 version, only it has some new holiday features.

You can also buy just the holiday stuff expansion pack, if you already own the Sims 2 original version. You can buy it for $19.99

So whats new?

I've been asking myself the same thing.
How shall I break this down to Sims fans easily... hmmm.
RIPOFF!

This version costs $39.99 almost everywhere you find it for sale. I'm sure you can find it on sale for less. But not this time of year when the holiday stuff would be in demand for any Sims lover.

The Sims holiday edition has a few new perks.
Some new items for your Sims include a few holiday outfits. All of which look ugly on your Sim. Elf suits for the kiddies. I'm going to say about 5 or 6 outfits in all. None of which are spectacular looking.

This pack includes a bunch of new items as well. Not just Christmas items, but a small fraction of Halloween, and German Christmas items, oh and one fall item. Not so great.
Not only that hardly any of the items are actually usable. What I mean by that is, they serve no other action purpose than just sitting there.

What really made me mad was when the Sims go to view these new items, they come up in their mind bubbles as flamingos, or old paintings already in the game. Which means they are exactly they same old item, just modified to look different. Your Sims still register them as old items, and aren't too impressed.

Cool! Yeah right.

Another disappointing factor was how on the box cover and in some advertisements you see the Sim children opening gifts under the tree.

That's just false! This won't happen. The tree does nothing but light up. But wait... if you forget to turn that tree off within 3 or 4 hours, you'll get a tree set on fire every time. Yay Christmas!!!!

Also included is a lawn ornament for the lawn. A snowman! Hes got one action feature. It goes on for like 5 seconds, and dances. Then turns off. Yay! -Lame. The Sims don't even respond to it.

There's also a lighted lawn reindeer. Your Sims can pet him. For one, I find this new feature boring, and secondly the reindeer is tacky and far too large looking. It doesn't match the rest of the sized furniture and doo dads in the game. So it looks fake and stupid on the lawn.. with no snow! Hah!

There are also some new objects in build mode. The windows with frost, and doors with frost. It's limited to only 3 or 4 different window and door types though.
You can also hang stockings on your fireplace. Another useless item. The Sims cannot do anything with them, like the tree.

Maxis also threw in some trees with lights on them. Not impressed though.

They also threw in some stringed lights to decorate the outside and inside of your Sim home. Also useless seeing how nobody I know can actually play the game with the wall up. Once you put the walls down the lights disappear. Useless decorations.

There's some new holiday flowers for you to put around the house. About 4 of them.
The mistletoe, at first I thought was cool. Sims can stand under it and wait for a kiss. (mind you this is probably the best new Sims action in the game) However if your Sim doesn't have a crush, or a lover at the time of standing under the mistletoe, nobodies coming along to kiss them. They'll stand there till you prompt them to do something else.

As far as Santa visiting... haven't seen him yet. Unless Maxis has some super secret night for him to show up, he wont be showing up, and I highly doubt Maxis planned for him to visit on x-mas eve (real time).

Just look at the cover of this game. You're getting nothing of the sort. The box cover is nothing more than mind manipulation and lies to grab in the consumer.

I used to be very happy with Maxis' expansion packs and add ons. But so far this is pretty much what every Sims expansion pack has been like. Disappointments.

What I like about this new edition: I guess the mistletoe? Nothing else seems to do anything but sit there trying to look pretty. The tree sets itself on fire every other hour game time. The lights you can't see, Santa... I had a feeling he didn't exist! Dang! My poor sim children. The tacky reindeer that all your neighbors will be so envious of. HAH!

There's really nothing in particular I like about this new edition. I feel like I was ripped off, it's ashame you cannot return CD-roms, otherwise this one would be going back.

Trust me, don't waste your money on this one.
Best thing about the Sims holiday edition: I'm going to have to say, the best thing about this edition was the flyer that came in the box advertising the newest expansion pack. Outdoor fun, or stuff.

Another rip off on its way Im sure. Im such a sucker though for my sims. But because of this edition, I just may let my sims suffer without the newest add ons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment