Friday, November 30, 2012

Review of Super Pet Habitat Defined Birdie Basketball Enrichment Toy

After getting a 6 month old baby Black Capped Conjure, I knew he would require a lot of toys and forging accessories to keep him entertained while I was not home to play with him.

I ended up buying him a Super Pet Play Set, which allowed me to add other enrichment toys. After looking through a large assortment of them at my local Petco, I went with the most basic and easily understood, at least by human definition. Basketball!

Quality:

The Super Pet Habitat Defined Birdie Basketball Enrichment Toy is meant to be attached to a Super Pet set, but it can also easily be attached to your birds cage.

The quality of the toy looked very nice in the package, but once out of the package it was a different story.

Now keep in mind, these toys are designed for smaller birds like cockatiels, but seeing that my conjure is smaller than a cockatiel, I figured this toy would work perfectly for him for the time being, and that I could buy him newer stronger toys once he grew a little.

No such luck with this toy, he ended up biting the ball off of the chain just seconds into playing with it. Now he is not at all a strong bird yet, which means a cockatiel could easily have done the same thing. The problem was due to the plastic ring the ball was attached to on the chain. Cheap, garbage, and not at all durable against a forging birds beak, even a small beak.

It was very disappointing because I planned on trying to train him to play basketball and figured this would be the perfect training toy, seeing that the ball would never get lost because it was attached to the chain.

All in all, the toy looked like fun, it came with a hoop, and a ball attached to a chain for your bird to learn to place the ball through the hoop. There is a small plastic slot also located to the left hand side, which does pretty much nothing. You can maybe add a small treat to the dish, but other than that it serves no purpose.

Overall:
Poorly done, poorly made, cheap plastic. It could have been fun, as he enjoyed playing with the ball on the chain till it broke moments later. Now it's just a piece of garbage and a waste of my $5.00.

I couldn't recommend this to anyone with a bird over 3 ounces, as my little guy is just under 4 ounces, and a baby, and he managed to destroy it in seconds. Literally seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment