Friday, November 30, 2012

Review: Super Pet Playtime Activity Center for Parakeets and Cockatiels

This past weekend while browsing my local pet store for flea medication for my dogs, I fell in love with the sweetest baby Black Capped Conure. At just 6 months old, he weighs in at just under 4 ounces and knowing a bit about these birds, I knew that he would require a ton of toys and things to keep him busy while I could not entertain him.

I came across the Super Pet Playtime Activity Center for Parakeets and Cockatiels. I knew that he was tiony enough to use this set, as he was not even as big as a cockatiel yet. The playtime center looked like it would be a lot of fun. You could either set it up on a desktop, or you could hang it with the included chain.

What Is It?

The center is designed to look like a fun tree, with branches that attach to the trunk. Each branch clicks into place, and you can decide how you want to add the extras, such as the colorful play chains, the forging box, the rope, the bouncing bird head, and the food and water dishes.

Before getting into how well Charlie liked it, I wanted to go over the pros and cons of this play set for your small bird.

Cons:


-The tree seems flimsy, very flimsy, and even with Charlie being a small baby bird, I noticed when he moved about the set, it would wobble quite a bit. The small leaf tree branches that I added were very flimsy.

-The chain that hooks to the top of the play set and the top green disc does not allow for it to hang in a balanced manner, so I could not even hang it up with the top piece on as shown on the box. I had to leave that extra piece off. In fact, there is really no use for it seeing that it does not balance out properly.

Pros:

-Charlie loves the play set, even though it seems to be constructed of flimsy plastic materials.

-You can add other pod toys and accessories. I got him the pod attachment that allows him to play basketball, although he does not really play basketball he does enjoy swishing the ball around. Sadly the ball eventually got chewed off.

-My bird will sit on the highest perch, and just hang out there while I go about my business. It keeps him busy, and entertained.

Overall:


We like it. The bird likes it, and that is all that matters really. I do wish it was made more sturdily that way he could have used it as he grows. However due to the wobbly nature of the set, I know once he starts growing a little, it would be impossible for him to play on it.

For now though, it works. I would not recommend this play set however, to owners with birds larger than 5 ounces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment