Thursday, July 31, 2014

Rainbow Reef Motorized Koi Fish - Product Review

When I was a kid I had this collection of wind up bath toys, they included whales, gold fish, and a shark. I loved them, but what sucked about them was the fact that they only swam for a few seconds until they stopped. Not only that they also would swim upside down and never quite looked like a real swimming fish. I still loved them though.
When I came across a neat collection of large motorized fish I immediately was brought back to my childhood and knew I had to have one. The woman selling them in the street showed how well they worked by having a few on display in a large fish tank, and a few in a kiddie pool.
They swam around with ease, they did not flip upside down, nor did they need to be winded up every few seconds. A simple push of the button and these large 12.5 inch fish were brought to life.
I had a choice of so many different types, clown fish, hammer head sharks, turtles, great whites, sea horses, koi, bass, and many more.
I went with the koi fish because in the back yard we have a man made pond that hasn't had fish in it in years. (The raccoons always ate them). I bought 2 of them for a high price of $15 each. A bit steep, but honestly if you saw the way they swam, you too would walk away with 2, maybe even 3 of these unique swimming fish.
Each fish is constructed of hard plastic, with rubber tails, and fins. The tail is what moves which propels the fish through the water effortlessly.
Batteries (2 AA) were already included, so I didn't need to buy spares; as of yet anyway.
I got home, took out the two koi fish out of their boxes, and pressed the button that sticks out of their side and placed them in the pond. Off they went. What was so cool about them was how they would swim around under water, and at times take small dips up to the surface. They in my opinion were gorgeous and looked rather realistic as they made their way about the pond.
I turned them off after watching them for a bit, I did this because I planned on only activating them when we had company. I figured if I left them on all night the batteries would be dead by morning.
When company was over, the fish were always complimented, and we were always asked where we got them, and how unique they were yadda, yadda, yee.
The fish have sat in the pond for almost a year now and the same battery it came with still keeps the koi fish kicking. What's best about these motorized fish in our pond is the fact that the dang raccoons in the area can't eat them. Hehe.
These Rainbow Reef Koi fish, and other Rainbow Reef motorized fish also make for awesome toys for kids in the pool or the bathtub.
Let's Go Fishing:
You can purchase the clown fish at Walmart, as far as the other types of Rainbow Reef motorized fish go, I have only seen them in Toys R Us, and vendors in NYC. Prices are a bit higher in toy stores, so if you find yourself in the city do stop into China Town, they sell them in kiddie pools on the street for much less.
For online purchases visit www.pooltoys.com where they have a collection of fish in stock. However many of the fish are out of stock for the season right now. You can also find other Rainbow Reef fish at www.swimways.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment