Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review of Outward Hound Pet Lookout Car Booster Seat

I like taking my little guy everywhere, although some folks think he's too furry to be allowed into most stores. It pisses me off mostly. My dog wears nicer designer clothes than most people I know. He has shoes, pants, shirts, and still he is not allowed in, simply because he's a dog.
Instead I will bring him to the beach, or he will tag along when I'm visiting a friend. He is my sidekick, and my best friend. However unlike my human best friends, he can be one hell of a pain in the butt while actually getting to our destination.
In the car instead of just laying in the back seat, he is all over the place like a goddamn ping pong ball. He gets excited, because he knows he is about to go somewhere fun. I knew that I needed a car seat for him, but finding one was nearly impossible, and every time I went looking in pet stores the bastards wanted a Ben Franklin just for a dog car seat. There was no way in hell though, that I was going to spend that much money on a car seat. I was better off just brining along his carrying cage.
However recently when I noticed Petco had a car booster seat for my dog, for a price I could not deny, I had to buy it. Every other booster seat nearly cost $100 or more, and the Outward Hound Pet Lookout Car Booster Seat was the only one in my price range.
I had not seen this in the Petco stores, probably because they sell out fast when they are in stock, or they just don't stock on them. I had o choice but to order in online.
The booster seat is designed with small dogs in mind, but will hold up to 20 pounds of puppy fat. The straps allow for it to hang off of the passenger seat in the car with adjustable straps. The booster seat is positioned so the dog can get a view of outside. A feat which was difficult for my little guy before.
Best of all though, the booster seat allows me to safely clip him in with the attached harness which hooks right to his collar.
In all honesty though, I did not see how this booster seat was safe. God forbid I get into an accident, the dogs neck would most likely break. Instead I used my brain and clipped the attachment to his harness; that way if there was an accident, he would be more secure.
The booster seat resembles a large nylon cooler and viewing it online made me wonder if it would be unstable once the dog was placed inside.
When it came in the mail though, I was surprised to learn that the actual 'boost' you get is do to an included inflatable mat. It seemed neat, but I wondered how long it would be before the dogs nails popped the inflatable, or how long it would be before it just lost air and duded out on it's own.
The seat attached easily in place after I figured out what strap went where. I had no troubles adjusting the size of the straps either, and to be honest you'd have to be an idiot to not be able to figure out how to re-adjust straps. Once the seat was in place, and tight and secure, I needed to test it's durability. I needed Bubba.
When I placed Bubba in it, I did notice a slight dip where his weight was, but it was nothing that would cause the seat to rip, or make him uncomfortable. Once Bubba was secure in the seat though, he was not happy, he struggled to hop from the seat. He made things uncomfortable for himself by trying to fight being held in place. I felt bad, but in time he got used to it, and once the car got to moving his focus was more on what was going on outside. Suh-weet!
Attached to the outer sides of the seat are 3 storage compartments. Here I am able to fit in some small treats, a toy, and his watering bottle.
The Outward Hound Pet Lookout Car Booster Seat can easily be undone and folded up for storage. However seeing how no one else really ever joins me, I keep the booster seat up even when it is not in use. It's just a pain to put it up and take it down after every trip.
Overall I am satisfied with the booster seat, because it keeps Bubba in place. He can no long go running around in the car, creating distraction for me while I drive. When we go out now, I strap him in, and go. He looks out the window, and barks at anyone he sees.
I'm very satisfied with the Outward Hound Pet Lookout Car Booster Seat. However I found it insane to recommend attaching the harness attachment to his collar. Attach it to his HARNESS, not his collar. An accident could result in a broken neck, with a HARNESS the dog has a better chance of survival.
The blow up mat has also remained in excellent condition. I cover mine with a blanket, to keep the dog from ruining it. It does however need to be blown up every now and then because it does deflate on its own.
Measurements:
13.5"W X 13.5"D X 7.5"H
Get one while they're on sale:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment