Thursday, July 31, 2014

TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter - Review

I hated Tivo when I first bought it, and at times I still hate it, yet love it, and then hate it again. My reasoning was not just because of their foul customer service representatives, but the hate really stems from their manipulative practices, and greedy tactics.
When I first ordered Tivo, I had no idea that I needed a bunch of other idiotic gadgets just to get the damn thing up and running. One of those expensive piece of crap gadgets came from Tivo. Of course, go figure! This gadget should have been added with the TIVO, but it wasn't, and I being the dumb TIVO first timer had to purchase it, or I couldn't watch TIVO. Yay!
This gadget is called the TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter.
Me being the computer dummy I am, had no idea what I would need it for. TiVo makes a great point of barely describing it on their site. They mention a bunch of this, and a little of that... but to the computer dummy it's just a bunch of Greek words, and absolutely nothing on the site mentioned absolutely needing one.
Well lemme tell yah, if you plan on setting the damn Tivo up, you do absolutely need one if you're not using a telephone line to hook the Tivo up. Seeing how I had no line in the room, nor did I have access to one, I had to set up a broadband set up. Something I had no prior experience with. It all seemed impossible.
Little by little, and day by day I managed to finally get the stupid Tivo up and running, and in all honesty it would not have been possible if it weren't for the stupid $60.00 Tivo adapter.
This adapter seems so damn pointless I know. It's a small fold up cell phone shaped piece of metal and plastic, all merged together to create this... this... well what the hell is it?
This is your wireless adapter. You see the Tivo will not recognize the computer unless you have this stupid gadget in sync with your router. The router picks up the adapters signal, thus giving you online access. You need online access in order to update Tivos viewing guide.
In order to hook this thing up you simply plug it into the proper hold in Tivos butt. You then find the highest point in the room and place the thing up there to collect dust.
As pointless and stupid as this all seems; it works. Tivo will then let you know it's got a signal. My signal for some reason is always 80%. I'm too lazy to move the thing around and what not, so 80% is better than 0%... a message you will see often when setting up Tivo!
Next you simply plug in your routers settings into the Tivos settings section, and you are off. Yay! It's magic!
Since this hunk-uh-hunkka Tivo junk has been plugged in it seems to work just fine and dandy.
Issues I have though are with Tivo, not it's handy dandy little gadget. I wish Tivo would have stated it loud and clear that 'YOU NEED THE ADAPTER TO GET A BROADBAND CONNECTION!'
It sucked not being able to hook up because I had no idea what to do, or how to go about doing it. I find it ridiculous that this adapter did not come with the Tivo. I find the price insane!
All in all though, the adapter worked like a charm, so I can't say bad things about it. It made getting online simple, and easy. Would I recommend it though, NO! But seeing how you may be a Tivo purchaser, it's a necessity. As sucky as that sounds.
You HAVE to buy the adapter at www.Tivo.com for $60.00, or you HAVE to buy it at Radio Shack. Now seeing how Tivo will not be liable if you use another adapter and ruin the machine with it, it will be your loss, so you HAVE to get this adapter. If you use another adapter and break your Tivo,they're all gunna laugh at you.
Visit www.Tivo.com for more information on this adapter.
For $29.99 feel free to email me if you need help setting up Tivo. The $30 will be worth way more information that what you're going to get with them clowns.
(That was a false statement. Please don't email me with your Tivo woes.)
Overall, I can say that I am pissed that I was suckered into buying this cheap looking device for such a high price. I find that if this gadget is necessary to hook up to the Tivo service it should have come included with the Tivo!!! I find this practice to be absolute BS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment