Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Review of Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker

My boyfriend has an obsession with buying ridiculous kitchen gadgets. I get sick and tired of him bringing these large counter space eaters home, because we use them once or twice and then we end up packing them away and putting them in the basement to never be seen again.
One basement dweller I figured I may as well discuss goes to the Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker.
He brought this home with good intentions I guess. He knows I'm an ice cream junkie, and he figured that it would be an excellent gift for me, because in his mind he thought that I would save money making my own ice cream.
In The Box:
The Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker came with a cylindrical plastic churn, a freezer bowl: 1-1/2 quart with liquid encased inside of it, a lid, and a recipe/instructions manual.
I hated it from the get go.
Why?
Because the freezer bowl needed to go into the freezer in order to freeze the encased liquid. This was where I had a problem. We don't have room in our freezer to allow this ridiculous bowl to freeze up.
To satisfy him though, I removed a few things and left the freezer bowl in the freezer over night. The next day we were ready to make ice cream.
First though I had to go to the store and buy the proper ingredients needed to make ice cream. After all was said and done it cost me more money to buy all of the crap I needed to make ice cream, than it would of if I just bought a tub of store brand ice cream.
Once you mix your ice cream recipe up you then pour it into the fully solid frozen freezer bowl. You then quickly place it onto the base of the ice cream machine, and press on.
The machine will then turn the bowl around and around and around some more until the liquid turns to ice cream.
Watching the bowl turn my liquid concoction into ice cream was fun, and took about 20 minutes.
After it is done you simply remove the ice cream from the bowl, and serve. Tah-dah!
I know this may be fun for some, but for me, I'm an impatient person. Although it was cool and all the first time, I could of saved myself a lot of time and money by buying a pint of Ben and Jerry's.
Taste:
I had never made ice cream before, and although I followed the recipe on the manual, my ice cream lacked that full fattening flavor that my tongue just adores.
After eating my tasteless ice cream, I then had clean up. Clean up was annoying.
Overall:
I used the Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker twice. Once by myself, and the second time with my boyfriend. After that the Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker got sent to the land of kitchen gadgets that Raymond for some reason likes to waste money on (the basement).
Recommendation:
The Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker is a nice addition to the kitchen if, and only if you are into making your own ice cream. If and only if you have the time for it, and if and only if you have the room in the freezer to keep the freezer bowl in at all times.
For everyone else, go buy a pint of Hagen Daz and enjoy.
Pricing:
I have no clue how much he spent on this gadget...I'm guessing around $50.00.
Where To Buy One:
He picked this one up at our local Tanger Mall. You can most likely find it in any store that sells cooking gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment