Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review of Super Mario 3D World for Nintendo Wii U

I cannot lie, I have been a Mario fan since the 80's so pardon me now for sounding a bit bias. However, I also know a good Mario game and a bad one, and have no issues whatsoever bashing a bad game and praising a good game. 
 
With that said; 'let'sa go!'
 
OK, so since buying the Nintendo Wii U I cannot lie, I have been less than satisfied with the lineup of games, and the system has gone untouched since Pikmin 3 made a release and kept me entertained for about a week.

I buy these new Nintendo systems based solely on the fact that I assume Nintendo will release a new holy grail of Mario games, and when the first Mario title on the Wii U fell so short of being a charmer, I nearly wanted to cry.

It had that whole been there, done that vibe and it totally killed my expectations for my Wii U as a whole.

Then out pops news of this new Super Mario 3D World, and the commercials and advertisement for this new game look pretty dang promising. Naturally I had to have it, no question!

Does It WOW the Way Mario Did On The Nintendo 64?

 
Unfortunately no. 3D is definitely not new technology when it comes to our favorite pint sized plumber. We were all astonished back when he arrived to our TV sets in 3D on the Nintendo 64, so the whole 3D aspect here is not new at all.

Although it is not a jaw dropping game, nor is it groundbreaking, it is probably the funner of games that Mario games have delivered in a very, very long time.

Plot:
 
There is a slight change up from what we are used to in Super Mario 3D World in comparison to older Mario games. Instead of saving the Princess Peach, we are set off on a journey with her, as well as other playable characters such as Luigi, Toadstool, and Mario to save these small floating fairies. Bowser has captured them all in jars, and our mission is to set them all free by conquering each level. There is a major castle at the end of each level where we defeat Bowser.

The plot is not very thick or complex, but that is what keeps things simple and allows us to focus on the game play.

Game play:
 
Instead of one gigantic open world like we had seen in the Nintendo 64 game, we are given a vast collection of levels, and boards to beat which are all in 3D.

In the Nintendo 64 game, worlds were hidden throughout a vast open world, and we were forced to find them. Now, boards are found with easy side scrolling points on a map. Similar to the last Mario game Wii U delivered, so I could see why people would moan that this game is more of the same, because it sort of is, but that is what makes Mario charming for retro gamers like myself.


However unlike traditional side scrolling maps, our character can move about the map and find hidden little extras within each level. This was a nice little touch that I thought was pretty neat.


Each playable board however is done up in 3D, so there is your slight little change that makes the game just a fraction of a hair better than the last 2D side scrolling Mario game on the Wii U.

Controls:
 
Controls in this game are simple. You use the Wii U game pad to control your character, or you have the option to use a Wii Mote. Unless a second person is joining you in game play though using the Wii Mote is not necessary.

You can blow on the Wii U game pad for unique effects. Coins will spin and so on. Tapping the screen on certain areas also reveals hidden platforms and such.


Level of Difficulty:
 
A lot of gamers are stating that this game is far too easy. I have to agree that yes, old games from the 90's involving Mario were hard, maybe even too hard. Super Mario 3D World however delivers a bit of simplicity, but indeed it becomes more and more challenging as you pass through levels. I enjoyed the simplicity and level of difficulty as I went along.


Children as well as some adults will appreciate this game. Those looking for some super hard challenge though may as well just pass on by on this title.


Overall:
 
For me, this game is probably the best title delivered to the Wii U thus far. I have no complaints. It was not the jaw dropping wow me game, but it was a good game and one I would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment