Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Crayola Glitter Glue 5-Ct - Review

Back in my days things like glitter glue, and glow in the dark glue did not exist. We had options though, oh yes indeed. White glue or glue stick? Which will it be?
Now when I browse through stores it is not uncommon to come across clear glue, colored glue, glowing glues, glitter glues...seriously now, what the hell is the point!? They all work the same!
A few days ago while hanging out at my sisters house though, my niece brought out to the table a set of glitter glue tubes, and a drawing of a pumpkin she got from school. Her homework task was to color the pumpkin.
I see a lot of me in her, because she is very creative, and possibly ahead of the class when it comes to art. Unlike the ordinary 5 year old whom would simply color the pumpkin in, in a sloppy manner; my niece takes it to the next level.
On the table I watched her lay out all 5 Crayola Glitter Glues, and some crayons. First she colored the pumpkin in, and then she unscrewed the cap to the green glitter glue.
I then watched as she fumbled with the tube in her hands. There is a very thin hold where the glue is supposed to squirt from. I had used these glues before, and knew that although they were designed for children....they really are meant for older children. Even when I had used these small tubes I had trouble keeping a straight line.
After struggling trying to squeeze the tube while holding in steadily in her hand, I watched a huge glob of the glue go all over her picture. Her plan was to trace the pumpkins stem with the green, only it had not worked out that way. Of course this resulted in tears, and moaning about how it was 'ruined'.
I then told her if she spread the glob out over the stem it would be okay, and no one would be able to tell. It worked like a charm, (my plan I mean. Not the stupid tube of glitter glue).
Glitter Glue's are designed for larger steady hands. Squeezing the tube while writing or drawing with the glue is close to impossible, especially smaller children. They get frustrated and squeeze, and this leads to a glob of glitter glue either on the table, their clothing, or hands.
The Glitter Glues come in a pack of 5, and come with red, green, blue, gold, and silver.
They may not be great for small children, but they are great for adults who still have that creative flair. I have used them for scrap booking to create fine lines on my pages, and it had worked nearly perfectly. You must have a steady hand for this though, because if you mess up, there is no fixing it.
Crayola Glitter Glue is acid free, so you do not have to worry about it staining your scrapbook pages or pictures.
Issues:
Crayola Glitter Glue seems to work well with scrap booking; they however fail miserably in every other department. I have used them to add some glittery touches on Christmas ornaments, and it seemed to work like a charm. The blue glitter glue tube added an icy flair to an old ugly ornament. However when we went to box them up after Christmas the entire design peeled off with just a light touch. The design was a snowflake, and it peeled off still in the snowflake design.
It was neat, but at the same time, my ornament was blank again.
-The glues are too messy for children. If you allow them to use these you could end up with glitter glued to your sofa or carpet. I don't care what the package says, it does ruin fabric if you happen to dribble some on you! So take caution when using them.
-They do not last long. In the 5 tubes there is seriously only enough glitter glue to complete 5 or 6 small projects, or one large project.
-The glues dry out even with the caps on them! The ones I had been using were always stored neatly in my scrap booking cabinet. When I went to use them about 6 months later, what was left had become hard inside of the tube. No caps were off, no caps were loose. There was no reason for it!
Crayola I guess expects you to use them up in like a day, I guess storing them away for later use is a no no!
Overall:
Crayola Glitter Glue can be found for only $1.00. Although the tubes have their annoying quirks, they are cheap, and do work well with scrap booking projects.
Recommendation:
They are worth a buy onlyfor scrap booking though. For anything else they just fail to deliver. The glue peels away too easily, so they don't do much for school projects or decoration. Only use with scrapbooks that have a protective plastic cover over them.
For school projects stick to the old method of glitter glue. A bottle of white Elmer's, and a shaker filled with glitter.
Availability:
I pick them up in dollar stores. If you plan on using them for scrap booking this is where I would go to find the set of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment