Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Sims for the Nintendo Wii: Why it Failed to Win Me Over

I waited the wait for My Sims for the Nintendo Wii. I kept a close eye in all game magazines I could get my hands on. I fell in love with every single picture and video clip they released for My Sims...and then 3 days ago I finally got myself a copy.
3 days have been spent exploring every single aspect of the game, grand total (this is pathetic) 14 hours, and 34 minutes.
After running back and forth throughout my little town and running errands the game got dull; really dull. It became a tedious task of repeats, and after awhile I was no longer enjoying myself.
The My Sims Story:
The beginning of the game started off promising. The town was once popular, and was home to many Sims...then one day they all went away, the town went to shambles...and now the Mayor needs help re-building to get the town up and running again.
I first created my character, gave him a name, and then named my town.
At first glimpse, the town resembles Animal Crossings in many, many ways, only things are a bit more elaborate. Not much more elaborate; but enough to satisfy you.
Next I met with the Mayor, she gave me some small simple errands (sort of like when you first met Tom Nook in Animal Crossings). After completing her tasks I was then to meet up with some of the towns folks and complete tasks for them.
After awhile your towns star rating goes up and more Sims start wanting to move in. You have complete control to move in who you want, and where you want. If you get sick of them, or you want to move someone else in, you can kick someone else out if there is no room for the new sim.
After you ask them to move in, you then must build their home according to their preference. -You do not though have to build according to their preference, but I find that when you do your towns star rating increases faster. You will run into the geek, the party Sim, the quiet Sim, the Gothic Sim, and the sci fi Sim. There is not much more personality then that.
When you move in say; a Gothic Sim, they will like dark things, such as Gothic stores, and creepy trees. When you move in a sci fi Sim, they will like sci fi things, such as video arcades, and so on...
After building a Sims home, they may ask you to build them other things, such as beds, sinks, refrigerators, etc, etc. They will ask for certain essences though.
Essences are special paint colors that you acquire by collecting fruits, and certain objects in the town. Some essences are harder to find than others, but relatively everything is simple.
Once you find the essences though, you can then build the object they have requested, and paint it.
Where the game fails:
So everything above may sound like fun, but the reality is far from fun. The entire game seriously consists of you running back and forth throughout your town looking for essences, and building items for everyone. Once you complete the item, you then will have another task.... can you guess it? Yep...build another item.
Building is fun, but not when that is the only aspect of the game. Building, building and more building.
You get bored fast; especially when your decor is limited to just a few lawn items such as cows, flamingos, and 3 fences. I would of really liked to of seen more items, more door types, windows, fences...etc.
Community:
This is another suck factor in the game. The community sucks. In town you can only move in about 7 Sims. In the western part of your town you can fit 6, and in the Japanese themed area of town you can fit in about 5. That's about 18 Sims. However in Japan and in the west, some of the homes are so spread out, that visiting them is a pain in the butt.
Not only that, but you really have no relationships to establish. When you first meet a Sim, you become his or her acquaintance, after a few talks or be nice/be mean actions they then become your friend. If you continue to pester them, they then become your best friend. However after that, nothing. You cannot get a wife, cannot have children, cannot do anything...but build.
Lack of Wifi!?!?!
Now seriously, Nintendo really pissed me off by releasing this game without online capabilities. In Animal Crossings we could visit other towns, or have people visit our town wifi. That is what made the boring game sort of desirable. In My Sims there is no leaving your town and visiting others towns, and I'm seriously still baffled on why!? Adding wifi in a game like this is important, only because things get boring too fast. Nintendo.. I slap yah face for that one!
Needs:
One thing that made Maxis' Sims fun was the fact that you had to take care of your Sim just like you had to take care of yourself. Things such as bathing, eating, going to the bathroom...etc. Nintendo wii's My Sims, my character needs nothing. The only things he needs are the things people in the town ask for. I do not understand why you can build a bathroom that no one needs to use, seeing how they don't go to the bathroom. I don't understand why you can build refrigerators if no one has the need to eat. It's all sort of pointless if you ask me.
Personalities:
My character basically has absolutely no personality, and that sucks. None of the Sims have personalities really. Even though my Gothic Sims like dark things, and wear dark clothing, they are far from scary.
Catastrophes:
Nothing! Nothing!
So I built this town, I made these homes, I put together the restaurants...and now my town is perfect. My Sims are all happy...what next?
Hummmm....nothing!?It's all over!? There is noting left to do! You have got to be kidding me!
Man, it would of been nice to throw something in like vandalism from a bad Sim...a hunt and find for the bad Sim that needs to be kicked out of town. How about some weather, or storms that could ruin my town? Just so I have things to do and fix.
Overall:
I was excited as hell to get my hands on My Sims for the Wii, and now that I own it, I am less than happy with it. As a matter of fact it was the biggest disappointment I have had in wii land in quite some time.
It just sucked that I had these high hopes, and waited nearly a year for its release....and when it finally hit shelves it delivered crap.
Graphics:
If you have ever played any Nintendo Lego video games, you will see a resemblance to it.
The game is also done up in that Nintendo cartoony way. It truly is gorgeous looking, and the colors are vibrant and fun...it's probably the best thing that game has going for it.
Sounds:
The sounds are very annoying in the game. You will hear this annoying tune that will play in the background as you build, and as you make your way around the town. The tune will get stuck in your head and keep you up all night.
The Sims also do not talk, they make those weird noises that original Maxis Sims made. 'Yabadochila.'
Recommendation:
If you still feel the need to give this game a try, rent it. Don't buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment