Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath - Review

My bird is spoiled, he's like a child to me, a simple creature. He lives in a cage, I feed him, I bathe him, I talk to him, and I of course love him (even though he bites me sometimes).
He is no ordinary bird though, he's not some special bird you can find in a local pet shop, he was actually a baby sparrow that fell from his nest that I worked extremely hard with to bring him back to health, and to make sure he survived. My attachment is great, as one would understand if they raised him themselves.
Every time I take a visit to Petco I end up bringing him home some sort of treat, or hanging toy. This weekend I ended up purchasing him the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath. Although this bath is designed for cockateil birds, I knew that my little guy would appreciate it all the same.
He loves bath time, and I knew that this large dish would accommodate his water fun. Before purchasing the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath he would dive into his small water bowl and wash himself that way. I knew that he wold love his new larger play pool.
How it works:
Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath is designed to hook into a birdcage opening (A door). According to the instructions all I had to do was hook it onto the cage, lift open the cage door, and fill the bath with water.
The Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath seemed like it would add a whole new area of play for my bird. With a clear plastic look out, and a bottom filled with water. It would be like adding a small pool to his cage, while not taking up any room inside of the actual cage, because the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath hangs on the outside of the cage.
It is a nice concept, a larger bathing area for you bird to enjoy, while enjoying a clear plastic lookout. It's like adding a spa room to the cage. It seemed pretty neat!
Issues:
Things though did not work out as planned. This stupid thing was designed to fit any cage, except mine it seemed!
The hooks did not fit onto my cages wire, so I had to actually remove the cage door to get the hooks to fit. I then had to slide these hooks into the plastic clear top of the bath. From there I had to slide in the brown base to connect to the clear top.
It was not sturdy though. I knew that once my bird got into the area to play that the base would EASILY separate from the clear top look out. I shook it myself to test it, and sure enough it began to slide off.
Not only was that an issue, but there were huge gaps at the sides that I knew my bird could easily escape from the cage through. I began to feel uneasy about the whole thing. God forbid my bird got out when I wasn't home. Either one of the dogs would kill him, or he'd end up smashing himself into a window.
I had to make sure that the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath was set up securely without any areas of escape. So...
I got out the tape.
I ended up taping the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath into place, and taping up and side holes that he could escape from. I also ended up taping the base to the lookout window, because it was too rickety.
Finally! I had a perfect taped up Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath.
Recommendation:
Honestly I would not buy this without the intention of not taping it up. You must tape up this cheap poorly constructed bath, otherwise your bird could escape. Most likely he/she will escape without taping it up.
My bird loves the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath, so I'm not going to not recommend it. The bird will love it, but do make sure you tape it up. I'm serious.
Pricing and availability:
I found the Penn Plax Cockatiel Bath at Petco for $11.49 on sale. You can pick it up there, or online at www.petco.com for $11.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment