Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review of Cadbury Royal Dark Mini Eggs

Every year around Easter I wait for the arrival of my all time season favorite candy. I am not alone in the wait, as posts and photos on Facebook surface year after year whenever one of my friends gets hold of a bag of Cadbury candy coated mini eggs.

In my case, these mini eggs are the main reason I like Easter.

This year I managed to get hold of my childhood favorite rather early, but while grabbing up bags and bags of my favorite, I spotted a darker colored bag laying next to the originals. This one was called Cadbury Royal Dark Mini Eggs.

Although I am not a huge fan of dark chocolate, there was no way I was passing them up. If they were made by Cadbury, odds were I would like them regardless of my feelings toward dark chocolate.

They are a little bit higher in fat than our originals, but honestly they chocolate is so rich I do not image you would sit there devouring the whole bag in one sitting. A small handful would be enough to satisfy.

Taste Test:
 
The first thing I will say is that you cannot eat one of these dark chocolate eggs, and then switch over to the originals. It will make the originals taste weak.

With that said, Cadbury Royal Dark Mini Eggs has a very rich and dark flavor to them. They are very good, but at the same time they are also semi bitter, more bitter than most dark chocolates. This does not necessarily make them bad, but they do have a bite to them that lovers of dark chocolate will love, but others may find too overwhelming.

The chocolate itself is not as smooth as the originals, but it has a very rich texture to it, which is similar to Dove's dark chocolate squares. The candy shell is darker and more bold in color, and it is evident that they did not use the same shell coating as they do in the original milk chocolate mini eggs.
The shell is not as chalky, and it seems to melt faster than the milk chocolate mini egg shells do, which I like.

Personally I find them to be rather enjoyable, but in small doses due to how rich the chocolate is.

Overall:
 
If you are a fan of the original milk chocolate Cadbury Mini Eggs, you will likely enjoy the dark version.

I personally wish they would just come out with the originals without a shell. I cannot get enough of the chocolate within the candy coated shell, and it would be a lot nicer to just skip the process of waiting for the shell to melt on your tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment