Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review of Scribblenauts Unlimited for Nintendo Wii U

Ever since picking up the Nintendo Wii U, my hunt was on for fun, cute and whimsical game titles that would keep me occupied while opening up my imagination in ways my old Nintendo 64 was capable of doing.

Sadly, as the Wii U is a newer console, the titles were somewhat limited. Granted a new Mario title was released when the console first hit the market, the game sadly failed to wow me in the same way Mario games could back in the 90's.

My eyes feasted on a title called Scribblenauts Unlimited. I had known about the series in the past, but it never peaked my interest enough to actually buy any of the previous games. With not many titles to choose from, and a Best Buy gift card in hand, I naturally went for it not knowing what it was about or what the game would entail.

The Plot:
The game opens up with our main characters Maxwell and his sister Lily who have been using a magical notebook to play mean jokes and pranks on locals. In turn their pranks backfire, and Lily is cursed to slowly turn to stone.

The plot is not thick, but it pretty much opens it up as to why we are even playing. Maxwell must do good deeds now in order to restore Lily back to her human self.

Ta-da! Nothing too thick, but who needs it?

Gameplay:
 
As Maxwell, you will have to solve puzzles in order to restore Lily bit by bit.

The game is a side scrolling platform, with a puzzles you must solve by easily opening up your imagination to create objects in order to be used to solve the puzzle and move on.

Solving puzzles are actually relatively simple; to the point where I was scratching my head wondering if this game was designed for 6 year old children who were just learning how to spell.

For instance a nerd asks for help with a bully, I ended up making the nerd a giant, and the issue of bullying was easily solved by reversing the role.

A ghost bride could not leave her haunted home until I created 3 objects for her wedding party that she never got to have. I created a husband, a ring, and a priest.

A little girl is crying because she is lonely. So I give her a dog, and she is happy.

With each puzzle solved you open new worlds and collect sunshine sprites which help restore Lily.

Creating these objects are all simply done by writing down the word, and wallah, your objects pops up on the screen.

You can play this game alone, and be done with it pretty quickly, and in multi-player mode others can join in on the quest. However I found more fun in it while playing alone while assistance is not really needed in this game.

Is It Worth Buying?
 
While Scribblenauts Unlimited for the Wii U is a fun game, it is definitely not one I would recommend purchasing, seeing how quickly you can get through each level and each world. The game was over priced for what you actually get.

There is customizations galore, but really all you are doing is wasting time creating objects to share them with others online. I suppose if you have hours to waste creating an awesome vehicle more power to you, but likely that vehicle serves the same purpose as the in-game created car, or truck.
All in all, this game was far too simplistic for me. It however may be great for little ones that are learning spelling. It just feels far too 2nd grade for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment