Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Review of Floam: A Sculpting Goo for Kids!

Floam is not something I would normally review...no wait, yes it is. Honestly though the only reason I am here is because I read a review today on how the product sucked. However her review lacked many details on why the product sucked, so I decided to write my own review on why it sucks, how it sucks, and everything else sucky about it.
Floam though came out when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember seeing the commercials for it on TV, and how you could cover anything you wanted with Floam, and it would dry over night creating a neat hard floam shell.
What is floam:
It is sort of like slime, only way, way thicker. It can hold form. The floam is basically made up of tiny balls of styrofoam beads with some sort of goo that holds it together to make form.
This goo though does not stick to your hands, the carpet or any other place...however it will begin to stick once your hands grow hot, or if you leave the bucket of floam out in the sun. It takes a lot of play though to really get the floam to stick to your hands. Removal though is simple and only calls for you to dab the ball of floam on to your hands to pick up the pieces.
Floam is shown on commercials with kids covering Barbie cars with it, and the next day have a neat floam car. It was always my opinion that doing this ruins your toys, so I don't recommend it.
How does it work?
It's magic! Hehe. No...it's pretty easy, you shape it into anything you want. A ball, a person, a car...whatever your imagination and your sculpting skills can come up with. Next you leave it on the counter or wherever you want, and wait for it to dry over night. It takes about 15-20 hours to completely dry...however by morning it will be dry enough to the point where you are able to pick it up and toss it around. Be careful though, because it will not be fully cured.
Scent:
Yup, floam has a scent. It's actually a nice scent which smells somewhat like lightly flower scented rubber. It smells pretty, sort of like clay dough only more pleasant.
Issue:
I made a globe with my floam and left it on my counter to dry over night, and it's round shape was no longer perfectly round. Over night as the floam settled it created a perfect flat area where the ball had sat on the counter. It was still round, but not round to where I could roll it along and bounce it straight. (Oh yeah, floam bounces).
Over time my miss shaped globe eventually fell apart. It dried up and with the smallest of squeezes it simply fell to pieces like dust. I had styrofoam pieces everywhere, and clean up was a pain in the butt.
Another issue with floam is that it dries out over time even when left in its container. This pissed me off more than anything because my floam was not in there for longer than a month. When I went back to play around with it, it was nothing more than a solid mass of rubber that I couldn't even peel from the container.
Overall:
Floam was cool the first day I got it, heck it was even cool on day 2, 3, 4, and so on. However eventually I realized it was a big waste. It may be a non-messy substance when you first purchase it, but over time the floam collects hair, gets dirty, and becomes a giant ball of bacteria. It dries out on its own in the container, and is a huge disappointment for kids who look to go and play with it a month later...only to discover it's dry.
Recommendation:
Don't fall victim to those neat commercials. Your kid will never be constructing those sweet floam works of art they seen on TV. A professional sculptor made those!
Floam = crap. Don't buy crap.
Locating it:
Floam can also be found in local toy stores such as Toys R' US and KBee Toys. The price is about $5.99 for a smaller container and $9.99 for the larger ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment