Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review of Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice M&M's

Fall is just days away, but already stores have been lining shelves with early fall season arrivals. Amongst my favorite limited time seasonal releases are the array of new pumpkin spice flavored food items.
From pumpkin donuts, cookies, and cereal bars, my favorite of course has to be the new limited time candy selections. I had heard that M&M's released 2 limited edition Halloween scene flavors which include candy corn, which I was not too pleased with, and pumpkin spice.

Just yesterday I finally was able to find the Pumpkin Spice M&M's that every Halloween buff has been raving about, and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the limited time flavor.

The Pumpkin Spice M&M's come in a very easy to find bag. It features a light brown overall backdrop color with a large orange M&M character whom looks more depressed than happy. The M&M is designed to look like a pumpkin. It is cute, quirky, easy to spot, and gives off the allure of the fall season. Perfect!

The M&M's inside of the bag are blown up to a much larger size, but feature only 3 colors. Orange, green and brown.

The Flavor:
 
Now this is where things get interesting, but not in the sense that I was expecting. The first M&M I popped into my mouth tasted just like a standard original chocolate candy shell M&M. There was nothing at all that stood out as pumpkin spice, and I began to wonder if I got some sort of mix up bag.
I popped another in my mouth, and another, and sadly the flavor was simply becoming more and more like an original M&M. Chocolatey, delicious, and creamy; however it was lacking the actual pumpkin spice flavor that these M&M's were supposed to be.

A few M&M's later I finally I was able to detect something a wee different. I was finally able to detect some cinnamon flavoring in the mix, but that was about it.

Overall:
 
Some of the M&M's in the bag taste just like regular chocolate M&M's, where others have a very tiny tinge of cinnamon spice.

Now this is not to say that these M&M's are gross, because they are anything but that. However I was expecting way more pumpkin flavoring considering the fact that this what the flavor they were supposed to be.

If you pop a bunch into your mouth, you will get a very fast initial flavor of cinnamon, but once you begin to chew them the chocolate flavor just overwhelms, which turns your bunch into just a mouthful of chocolate M&M's.

Seeing that they are semi different, I would still highly suggest them because they are after all very good. However do not expect this big pumpkin spice punch when it comes to them.

As of right now Target stores has them on shelves, and will likely carry them until the season ends. I would not say run now and find them, as they won't be very missed. However if you happen to see them, go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment