Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Review: The Simpsons Talking Pens - WooHoo!

I've been a fan of The Simpson's since I was a child, the cartoon just keeps going and going, and going. Now with the release of the new movie The Simpson's merchandise is available everywhere; and believe me there are products available even for the most picky of fans. From coasters, to t-shirts...it's available.
One particular gadget I adore is The Simpson's Talking Pens.
They are made exactly like the Family Guy talking pens, only they come in different colors, and of course speak different phrases, and display characters from The Simpson's. Unlike the Family Guy pens who say 6 phrases, The Simpson's pens only say 5.
The Simpson's Talking Pens are standard sized pens, only a wee bit thicker than what you may be used to. Writing with them is still just as simple. On top of the pen is an orange click down button to push. This button brings down the pen to write, or up to put the tip away. However while you happily click away, the pen speaks.
There are 4 pens in the set, which include Homer, Bart, Krusty and Apu. Oddly there is no Lisa or Marge? I found that to be strange, but enjoyed listening to the pens either way.
Homer
This pen comes bearing Homer in his work suit. He is wearing a tie, and smiles revealing his set of pearly whites. When you click on this pen Homer will say one of the following phrases:
"WooHoo! This is the greatest day of my life!"
"Oooh! Lunchtime!"
"Don't laugh at me. I was once like you."
"Boring!"
"Well today's the day for Homer J!"

Bart
Bart is drawn on his pen with his arms crossed, with an I'm too cool for you look on his face. This pen includes all 5 of these phrases when clicked:
"I do what I want, when I want!"
"I didn't do it!"
"My friendship. You know you want it!"
"Who loves ya baby?!"
"I'll get back to you."

Krusty
Krusty is drawn on the pen riding a unicycle and juggling balls. He has a big happy Krusty look on his face, and states the following 5 phrases:
"I'm Kristy the clown, and I love you very much!"
"Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha."
"You people are the worst audience I have ever seen!"
"Don't listen to him kid!"
"Don't worry, everything is going to be alright!"

Apu
I was surprised to find this pen in the set. I honestly thought Lisa or Marge would have been in the set...either way though, I still like the pen. It speaks 5 phrases that Apu has used frequently throughout the show. They include:
"I take it from your yelling kids, you like my tofu dogs."
"Thank you, come again!"
"Two people cannot fall in love, sight unseen."
"Welcome to the Quickie Mart!"
"Honey I am home!"

My opinion
I don't have any issues with the talking pens when it comes to quality, because they work fine and come with batteries...one issue I had though was with the Homer pen and the Krusty pen in particular. They say phrases that are sort of random. I was expecting the infamous Doh! line from Homer, and the infamous 'Hey, hey, hey!" line that Krusty uses in almost every episode.
Even Bart's phrases are somewhat random, but because they sound like something he'd say, it is acceptable. Apu's one liners seem to be the only recognizable phrases. I am sure that each pen has a line from an episode, but only hardcore fans have seen them all. I'm a fan, but I can say that have not seen every single episode.
Overall:
The pens work brilliantly, and the voices match to the true characters, so I have no beef there. I still enjoy them, although the ink sort of runs out fast, they still make for neat gifts for Simpson's fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment