Monday, July 28, 2014

Why Surf's Up for the Nintendo Wii Rocks

I've never really been a fan of movie based video games; but because I enjoyed Surf's Up the movie I had to try the game. I headed out to Blockbuster with my free game rental coupon in hand, and I managed to pick up a copy of Surf's Up for the Nintendo Wii.
When I first turned the game on I thought it was going to be all types of messed up because the controls on the main menus were out of whack. They were glitchy, unresponsive, and it sucked. Thankfully though, the actual game controls were nothing like the menu controls.
On the game I had a large map. On the map I was to choose where I wanted to go first. I started off in Shiverpool, and made my way over to the tutorials. I hate tutorials, but I wanted to see what the game was all about.
Who the hell would of though that tutorials would of been fun, because mostly tutorials are nothing but annoying and boring. Surf's Up though broke the boring tutorials barrier and threw me straight into action.
Here I was learning tricks on my surf board, and preforming sweet stoke tricks. The tutorials for me were more like mini games; in all there were about 10 of them or so. Each tutorial lesson was as fun as the last.
The Plot:
Like the movie your character is going to go up against Tank (the newest pro surfing penguin, since Big Z) in the Big Z memorial surfing competition. Before the big competition though, your character will be taken through other missions and boards to gain abilities, new characters, and new items to prepare you for the big competition.
Besides awesome tutorials, what else rocks about Surf's Up:
1. There are only an extremely small handful of surfing games, and most of them suck, are repetitive. Surf's Up however keeps you on your toes, and excited for more action.
2. The graphics are pretty dang sweet. I love the way they had waves role in, and the way the environment looks. Everything is crisp and clear.
3. The controls are flawless (in the actual game play; they suck on the main screens)
4. Multi-player! Oh yeah you can compete against your friends in Surf's Up.
5. High re-play value! Even after beating a board completely, you will still want to go back and try and beat old records.
6. Unlockable characters. You do not have to be stuck with just one character throughout the competitions in the game. You can choose available characters the game comes with, or you can use characters that you unlock as you move on.
7. Completing special tricks and freestyle tricks are easy. There is no need to remember ridiculous button pounding sequences in order to complete an awesome trick.
8. The game manages to follow the movies plot, while presenting you with awesome game play.
9. Surfing! Yeah did I mention surfing! Surf's Up is an all out surfing game. There will be no stupid lame side adventures or trips out of the water...or will there be????
10. The game is designed for young and old alike.
11. Rewards! Every time you complete a mission you are rewarded with a new board or item that you can find on the main menu.
12. Tons of boards! There are tons of boards to unlock in Surf's Up. Each board has its own special abilities. Besides that though, there are also a slew of possibilities for board color, pattern, and texture. You can spend an hour alone customizing your board.
There are many reasons why Surf's Up rocks. The one issue I have with the game are its screwy menu controls; but because game play is so sweet I am willing to look past that issue.
Surf's Up is truly a game you are going to want to buy; not rent. I rented, and plan on running out to purchase the game as soon as it is due back to the store. I'm not one who likes sports games, but Surf's Up has opened a new door when it comes to sports games for me.
Surf's Up rocks, and really that is all there is to it. A sure pleaser for those who loved the movie, and for those who love the sport of surfing. My boyfriend is a huge fan of both the movie and the Nintendo Wii game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment