Monday, July 28, 2014

Review: 12-Piece Bag of Bones from Wal-Mart

Halloween is over. It's a sad sad day for those of us who begin preparations 3 months in advance. Just because Halloween is over though, does neat mean that the fun has to stop. Okay, maybe it does stop...but the days after Halloween are for me; just as fun and rewarding as the actual event. The day after Halloween is the best day on earth for those of us who seek out props for next year. These are the days we get the good things for dirt cheap. Everything is 50-70% off at local stores that have left over Halloween goods.
Walmart and Target are always my first stops. They always carry an excessive amount of goods after Halloween is over, and their products are always priced below retail.
Last night I managed to pick up a slew of Halloween goods, and my spotlight product for this review goes to the 12 Piece Bag Of Bones.
I'm sure you all seen them in the store this year if you shop at Walmart. A large bag of skeleton parts thrown into a net like sack. I'd been wanting this bag of bones since I first saw them on the shelves, but due to the fact that the bones were $10.00, I passed. Not that $10.00 is cheap; I actually passed them up because they were made of low quality light weight styrofoam, and I knew that they wouldn't last very long.
When I spotted them last night though for only $4.00 I figured it was a deal I could not refuse.
Why I Wanted Them:
The main reason I wanted them from the get go was because they were very realistic looking to actual bones. Each bone was painted with detail, and had proper shading and coloring to give them an aged look.
The Bag of Bones comes with 12 loose bones. Each Bag Of Bones is a surprise, and you could end up with 2 skulls, 4 sets of hands, a thigh bone, or arm bone, a foot bone...etc.
I tried seeking a bag that had 2 skulls, only because the skull was the coolest looking bone piece in the bag. Due to the fact that the Halloween section was in ramshackles it was hard finding a bag with even one skull in it. It turns out we have a lot of dirt bags out there who were opening bags and taking particular pieces they wanted....and turning 12 piece bags into 20 piece bags. I actually witnessed this scumbag event taking place while seeking a decent bag of bones that didn't include broken pieces.
Luck was on my side, as I pulled out a bag that was wedged deep in the cavity of a bottom shelf. It only had one skull, but at least all of the bones were in one piece and not broken.
My Use:
Well I have no use for them till next Halloween, but I do plan on either hanging the bones from trees next year, or just piling them up on a coffee table just for decorational purposes.
My Bag:
My bag included 1 lifelike skull, 2 hands, 2 feet, 2 thigh bones, 2 arm bones, 2 calf bones, and a jaw bone. Basically I got a whole skeleton in the bag, with the exception of a few bones here and there.
Either way, it was still cool, and I had no intentions of putting together a skeleton, so all was good.
Quality:
Like I mentioned earlier, this is the only downfall with the 12 Piece Bag Of Bones. The bones are made from lightweight styrofoam, and are actually very, very fragile. The bones are not meant to be toyed with. Children should not handle them because they will break. They should be stored safely in a box with newspaper of bubble wrap surrounding them if you plan on saving them for year after year use.
I have seen plastic bags of bones, but they looked very fake, and clearly they looked like plastic. The upside with the stryrofoam pieces are that they look realistic.
Overall:
For $4.00 I really cannot complain much. I like how the bones look realistic, and I already know they are going to be a neat cheap prop for me to add to my house next year. Good find! Good find!
Sweet Tip-
Head to www.walmart.com right now to pick this very same bag of bones up for $4.00. The bones will not last long, but it beats going to the store to fist fight with folks over a bag of clearance bones. Hehe.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment