Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Spencer's Alien Lamp - Product Review

This weekend my boyfriend and I went on an all out all day yard sale spree all throughout town. We were actually in search of new furniture and fixtures such as lamps for out new home.
We ended up empty handed when it came to the furniture department, however I feel I hit it off quite well when it came to other odds and ends. An antique shop was having an outdoor end of summer sale, and there on the table sat an alien lamp. I had seen this lamp before for sale at Spencer's for nearly $50.00. When the woman behind the table told me I could have it for $6.00, I could not pass it up.
I already had quite a few aliens in jars at home, and they always made for such neat Halloween props, seeing how this lamp was much larger than most of my pieces, I was more than excited to get it home.
The woman assured me that it had never been used, but it's tattered box told a different story. I was just hoping nothing was broken, and that it actually lit up.
In the box was the actual lamp, it was filled with green colored liquid. Inside the liquid floated the alien. The detail on this alien was not as superb as my other jar piece aliens. This particular one was very plain looking. Its eyes were closed, and its hands and feet are stretched out. The alien has a fat belly, and actually reminded me of a newborn preserved chihuahua puppy.
When the lamp was plugged in it gave off a neat eerie toxic green glow to the room. The bulb lies at the bottom of the lamp, so that way the alien is lit up to give off more detail. Unfortunately do to the lack of detail, there is not much to give off, and while looking in at the alien, you can tell that it is a toy; where my other pieces you seriously have to have an up close look to figure out if it is real or not.
Recommendation:
I do recommend the Spencer's alien lamp only because it is a very unique lighting fixture. However if you are not getting it for $10 or less, I would pass it by. There are many aliens in lab jars for sale on the Internet that look like they are real. This particular lamp sort of fails in the realistic department.
Where to find this particular lamp:
Well Spencer's is no longer carrying the alien lamp, however that does not mean it is not available for purchase. You can find them easily at www.ebay.com. Simply key wordingalien lamp will do the trick. There are some lamps with different colors inside of them, I recommend sticking with the green or yellow lamps though, as they give off better lighting to the room, and to the alien.
Overall:
Although this particular alien lamp lacks detail, it still makes for a gnarly window sill decoration for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment