Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review of Limited Edition Frosted Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts

I am not at all a fan of Pop Tarts. Even as a kid, I knew that what was displayed on the outside of the box was never really what you got when it came to actually eating one. The box would show this overstuffed looking delight, and then when you bit in, you had a mere drip of fruit flavoring in the center.

This past weekend though, my peak in Pop Tarts rose due to the fact that I spotted new Limited Edition Frosted Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts.

I knew I should have left them there, I knew they would not be nearly as delicious as what the box photograph suggested, however at just over $2.00, I figured I would give the brand a try again. Maybe all these years later they added more middle filling than what I remembered back in the 1980's. Besides that, I am a huge fan if anything that has pumpkin in it, and with the fall season finally here, I admit I was pretty stoked to give these a try.

The Pop Tart:
 
I was pretty surprised that these Pop Tarts actually looked like the ones on the box. The frosted outside was done up well, with cute little fall colored sprinkles lightly layering the Pop Tart.
The Pop Tart itself though was very thin, where on the box they seem much thicker, and the middle layer of pumpkin pie filling looks really satisfying. However, just like in the 80's, the center of the Pumpkin Pie Pop Tart was pretty thin, beyond the word.

Overall:

 
The Frosted Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts are just decent. They are not really something I'd miss once they are discontinued in stores. However they are decent enough, and the pumpkin pie flavoring added is pretty dang close to what real pumpkin pie would taste like, so in that sense I am happy.
All in all, they'd get a 3 stars out of 5 from me. Cute to see on shelves, decent flavor, and each package contains 2 Pop Tarts, so regardless of the slim middle filling, you have enough of a snack here to qualify as a lunch.

Taste:

Regardless of the lack luster middle filling, these limited edition Pop Tarts were not that bad at all. I got a real sense of a pumpkin pie flavoring, although it was somewhat overwhelmed by the crusted Pop Tart itself, when you begin to chew it you sort of can taste the pumpkin pie filling. I do wish there was more of it, but Pop Tarts have always been like this. Too much outer shelling, not enough filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment